B.Sc., C.Eng, FIMarEST, FInstMC, CMIOSH
Post Graduate Diploma in Health and Safety Management
(Distinction and year prize, LUT 1996)
International Lead Safety Auditor, registered BS OHSAS 18001,
experienced Incident Investigator and Trainer.
BP Chemicals 1975 - 1982
BP Exploration 1982 - 1993
- 17 years in a total of 5 serial posts of increasing seniority from Instrument Technician to Senior Control Engineer.
- Technical Authority responsible for standards in control engineering across the BP Southern North Sea Group.
Health & Safety Executive 1993 - 2007
Senior Inspector, Offshore Safety Division
- Inspection, safety case assessment and investigation.
- Trained as advanced interviewer and expert witness.
- Provision of process safety training for inspectors.
- Specialist subjects: Asset Integrity, Maintenance,
Control Systems, Process Safety, Audit.
- Audit of safety management systems including competency
schemes and key risk controls.
- Delivery of HSE's key programme on H/C release reduction.
Principal Inspector, Offshore Safety Division
- Manager of HSE's KP3 programme on asset integrity.
- Head of OSD's Process Safety Team.
- Co-ordinating and delivering inspection/audit programmes
on petro-chemical installations.
- Decision making on enforcement and assessment.
- Providing expertise and oversight for HSE on all aspects
of offshore process safety.
- Representing HSE on the international stage.
SLC Consultants Ltd 2007 - present
Director /Safety Consultant
- BSI registered Lead Auditor to OHSAS 18001. Multiple corporate &
theme safety audits completed internationally (offshore/onshore).
- Training and professional advice delivered in UK and overseas for
managers and safety professionals on legal responsibilities,
accident investigation, safety management and plant integrity.
- Familiarisation training for engineers and inspectors.
- Speaking engagements on H&S subjects.
Master of Education degree
Fellow of the Institute for Learning*
Post Graduate Diploma Special Educational Needs
National Trainer for SfL training programmes
Regional Trainer & Consultant in post-16 education
Hull College of Further Education
1984 - 1994
- Responsible for Course Programme & curriculum development.
Norwich City College 1994 - 1996
Course Tutor - Youth Training
- Responsible for Course & Tutorial Programme.
- Project development of whole college tutorial system.
Lowestoft College 1996 - 2002
Director of Learning Support
- Responsible for SfL, ESOL, Key Skills, SLDD provision.
- Development of outreach provision.
- Partnership working with Social Services, voluntary sector & ACL.
West Suffolk College 2002 - 2005
Head - School of Foundation Studies
- Management of Change: Amalgamation of two schools under singu-lar head of school.
- Curriculum development.
- Successful embedding of SfL /Key Skills.
- Associate OFSTED & ALI Inspector.
SLC Consultants Ltd 2005 - present
Director / Management & Education Consultant
- Key Skills Support Programme Trainer.
- Skills for Life Support Programme Consultant.
- Leadership & Management Trainer.
- National Facilitator/Coach - Subject Learning Coaching.
- Author: On-line materials & training packs for distance learning.
- Functional Skills Support Programme Trainer/Consultant.
- Foundation Learning Support Trainer/Consultant.
- CPD Trainer for post-16 teaching staff.
* for Professional Code of Conduct, see www.ifl.ac.uk